..... QUILTING FOREVER, HOUSEWORK WHENEVER .....

Friday, May 30, 2008

Binding...

G'Day People!!! Tis raining here in Winnipeg today. Nothing much, but it is wet out.

In doing the hand-sewing of the binding on the raffle quilt, I found that everyone has their own way of holding the quilt/binding while sewing it. While binding the quilt with this group around the table, I was the only one that had mentioned that the quilt is not laying the way I normally would have it to sew. So, instead of making a big fuss, I fell into place by sewing the binding on the way the rest of the gals were, but it was not easy, quite foreign to me, but eventually it went as well as could be expected.

Yesterday I was hand-sewing the binding of the baby quilt, the way that I normally would hold and stitch it , and thought I would post a question to you all. "Which way do you hold your quilt/binding for stitching?" The second photo is the way I hold and stitch my project.

I have also noticed that everyone has their own way of holding and stitching their work when doing applique too! I know it doesn't matter as long as the end result is the same, but I just find it interesting.....

Just thought I would put this out there....


Also, I made my Chicken and Broccoli Casserole and rice for supper again last night, and thought to post a photo of it to go with the recipe... So here it be!


4 comments:

Bugsy said...

Hey Myra,

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the nice comments regarding my quilts.

I machine stitch my binding on the quilt and then I hand stitch the binding down on the back of the quilt.

From your picture, it looks like I do mine opposite you. I fold the quilt in my lap with the back of the quilt facing me, the binding away from the fold. Then I stitch from right to left. Typically, I start near the begining of a corner.

Not sure if that's clear without a picture. I'll try and get one and post it on my blog. I've got a quilt I'm binding now.

I love your attitude regarding the differences people have with their work. Most people would just complain that they are doing it wrong!

Happy quilting!

Joe

Lurline said...

Hi Myra,

Thanks for visiting - lovely to have a Canadian visit. I have two very dear friends in my group, Creative Threads,who are Canadian.

Sorry, Joe, but Myra, I stitch the binding exactly as you do - it comes to me naturally that way and why have lots of quilt folded in your lap.

I'll keep in touch - best wishes, Lurline/Australia.

Annet said...

Hello Myra,

I do the binding the same way as you do, so I can put the rest of my quilt on a table. It's easy to stop now and again, for stitching a binding is not my favourite part of quiltmaking!

Val said...

Well, I am new to quilting and haven't got as far as a binding but seeing yours helps me to see how to do it. I have really enjoyed my visit with you and look forward to many more.