..... QUILTING FOREVER, HOUSEWORK WHENEVER .....

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Some of my first quilting/applique experience...

This pattern was my very first experience with quilting.
Pattern by Nancy Halvorsen.

In January 2004, I finally had time (quit work/kids teens) to explore the craft of quilting. My first lessons were with a lovely gal and wonderful teacher Marilynn Wiebe.

Now, some would wonder WHY I would have chosen to start my quilt learning with a big applique wall-quilt? Well, all I can say is ignorance was bliss back then, and I registered for the class without seeing the sample, without even ever being at this shop!!! I truly enjoyed the class lessons, the challenge, and fell in love with quilting...

Now, seeing so much applique on the blogs I follow, I thought I would show my blocks from that first quilt... Don't mind the basting stitches in the photos, shamefully, I have not finished the quilt... yet! 8-(

I shall post 2 blocks a day for the next 6 days... Please keep in mind that I didn't have much of a clue of what I was doing with color, tones, etc... It was a real learning experience. 8-)

Pattern - "Many Thanks" (click on photos for closer look)
Block 1 - The snowmanBlock 2 - The Rooster

12 comments:

Ritobear said...

Wow! Great job on the first quilt! I especially love the snowman.

Nice to know that I'm not the only one with PIGS (projects in grocery-bags) hahaha

Bec said...

My first and only quilt class was a sampler class that I didn't finish - due to moving, this is also why I haven't attneded any other classes. Anyway, you think some of your fabric choices were terrible, wait till you see mine! The quilt top is finished but not quilted. Not sure if I will EVER want to complete it.....
Thanks for being brave and sharing!
Bec xxx

QuiltNut Creations said...

love the rooster! can't wait to see the rest

Millie said...

Myra, you have done a lot since 2004. The rooster and snowman are so pretty! Lovely work.

Karen said...

I think those are good blocks for not knowing what you were getting into. The first class I took was a Mariner's Compass. The shop owner said it would be "easy".

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Great idea to share this quilt Myra!
Marilyn W is such a great quilt teacher, she taught me how to hand piece and hand quilt in 1995!

Lilly said...

It may have been your first attempt, but one would never know it. The blocks you have shown look great! I am looking forward to seeing the rest of them.

Anonymous said...

I can't do appliqué. Can't even spell it. In my current project i have to appliqué little circles and I'm no good at that either, let alone more elaborate designs. I think your blocks look great!
BTW in your previous post: the blocks on point? I like that much better and think you should stick to that idea!

Dolores said...

Your applique stitches look good from where I sit. Not bad at all for a beginner. When will you finish this UFO?

Anonymous said...

Ahh the memories, and I remember you working on every detail of these first projects and I just loved them. I am partial to the intricate hand work that you did on those projects. Beautiful work GF!
Enjoy your road trip!

WK

Brenda said...

The rooster looks pretty hard around the tail area. I will look forward to seeing all of these. I love applique!

Winifred said...

They are lovely Myra. I love them. I want to join a quilting class but will have to wait until September when my granddaughter goes to school. In the meantime I'll have to finish some of my many cross stitch projects.

Look forward to seeing the other blocks.