..... QUILTING FOREVER, HOUSEWORK WHENEVER .....

Friday, August 1, 2008

What a Kickass trip! 8-)

Those quilters that live in Manitoba know what I mean by this title, but for those of you that don't, "Kickass" is a lovely little quilt shop in the lovely little town of Plumas. It is about a two, two and a half hour drive from Winnipeg. We left early in the day, spent about an hour and a half in the shop, toddled across to the hotel restaurant for lunch, enjoyed the town garden and mural, and headed on home in time for supper.

OH! And on the way out there we drove past some Amish homesteads, and saw two horse and buggy sets, with women dressed in all black, bonnets, capes, and all.... I wish I had my camera out and ready! I did on the way home, but there were no buggies to be seen... The Amish moved to the area in the last 2-3 years from Ontario I believe. What a wonderful addition to Manitoba! 8-)

Here are the day's photos:
Kickass General Store - seriously, click on the photo to enlarge and see that it really is called that! They are in the process of building a new and improved website. Should be ready soon. They are very good with online or/and phone orders...
There were even 2 more rooms that I did not take photos of.... Lots of lovely things to see, feel, and purchase! This is my haul for the day. I seem to be into buying charm packs (on sale). Got a burgandy pre-printed mini whole cloth block. I thought it would be a nice touch (as a toss pillow) to the fabrics I have for a king-size quilt for our bed. Click on image for larger view. 8-)THE Plumas Inn complete with our mode of travel.
A typical small town cafe. Nothing fancy, but the food was good.
The Plumas Gardens, with the mural on their General Store... click photo...The Town Clock in the middle of the garden.... Would look nicer if it had a fence of some sort to hide the vehicles in behind...Pg's scrappy car quilt.... Her grand-daughter was either snuggling under it, or making a tent out of it in the back. I guess the air-conditioning was too cool for her.And lastly, this is a jar of Udderly Smooth Cream. I bought this years ago at Wal-Mart once, loved it, and then never found it anywhere again. Found their lotions, but it is not the same as the cream. (It has a mild scent, is non-greasy, and made my feet soooo smooth and soft.) Well, Carol sells it in her shop, AND cheaper than what I paid at Wal-Mart!!! Go figure!?! Of course I had to buy some! It meant a little less to spend on fabric, but it is worth it! Well, that is it for today! I hope you enjoyed the photos in this posting! 8-)

9 comments:

Donna said...

I'm very proud of you -- what restraint shown! Must admit to having a couple of the fabrics you chose in my collection too :-) (the B&W's)

Joyce said...

I stopped at that store for the second time when we went to Cranberry Portage last month. I just love it. Did you see all her Laurel Burch fabrics? The only way I was able to resist them was indecision about which one because there were so many. I really want to go back there with a few thousand to spend. The going back will be easy. Not so sure about the thousands. Lol.

Sipiweske Quilts said...

Sounds like a great day. I have yet to make the trek to Plumas, but I have met Carol and her husband at a couple of other functions. I've heard nothing but great reviews on both their online and actual store. Gotta make the trip one of these days. Shopping is so much fun isn't it? Great selections. - Marlene

Cathi said...

I've bought online a few times from KickAss and you are so right -- they are fabulously helpful. I'd love to see that store in person! Looks wonderful!

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Looks like you had an awesome day's outing, I'm jealous! Will you bring your goodies on Wed? Hope so! QGB

Lise said...

I've also ordered from Kickass online store,, wow looks like you had quite a great time...also great pics thanks for sharing...Lise

Julia said...

What a great time you had!
Don't you just love looking through all the stuff in a quilt shop.
Have fun with your new purchases.
Julia

Anonymous said...

Very good account of our day.Kickass is certainly worth the trip---gee they have alot of stuff.They are so helpful and on top of everything you ask about.Will just have to shop in their online store till we can go again.
Wonky Phyl.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I was so excited for you when I saw those pictures! What a great little shop. As for the cream, why didn't you tell me you have been looking. I see it all over. We came across this when looking to solve J's problems with cracking hands, remember that time? Anyway, it's around here and when I see it I will make note of it ok?
Great job with the Blogging girlfriend! I am really starting to get to know you better! HAHAHAHA!
Yes, and it was GREAT laughs as we always managed to sneak them out even in serious times. Am I supposed to keep this short? LOL!
WK