..... QUILTING FOREVER, HOUSEWORK WHENEVER .....

Monday, July 28, 2008

What a disappointing weekend!

I started posting this on Friday night...

First, I forgot to mention what I did yesterday (Thusday) at Wonky Bits! I tucked in threads from my free motion quilting on the anniversary quilt. The gals also gave me some advice on how to do the rest of the quilting (that I was having trouble with). Thanks ladies! 8-)
I also worked on the applique on my UFO "paper pieced log cabin" project.

Today (Friday) I had a lovely day! I went to a new friend's home to do some stitching. There were 5 of us, nibble foods (yum), and A/C!!! 8-) I did more applique, same project. I have the 4th corner (bottom right) pieces all glued down and ready for stitching...I have to cut out more leaves for that corner too.... Bit by bit things are getting done. I still refuse to start anything new until I am caught up on my UFOs.

If you recall, we were shown by Pg a while back, how to put together the "hotdog" pillow-case method with hidden seams. Well, Cd tried that out today. She was so happy with how it worked out! I think there will be many pillow-cases made by her hands in the next while!

My poor fur girls are not impressed with their Mummy today! Gone 2 days in a row!!! Not good! I can't bare to tell them that "Mummy" will be gone all day tomorrow...even longer, as we have a 50th wedding anniversary to attend starting at 3pm. I hope DS will be around a bit to entertain them... 8-)

Today's actual post:
Well, my weekend didn't go at all as planned. Went to bed on Friday night feeling fine, woke often through the night with a sore stomach. In the morning I got up and out with the fur girls for their walk. I made it a very short walk as I was feeling chilled and loosing energy very fast. Feeling very weak. No wonder! I had the stomach flu. My hubby had it on Wednesday/Thursday, but normally I don't get things like this. Anyway, I missed my Aunt and Uncle's 50th Anniversary. I was so looking forward to seeing all my cousin's that I haven't seen for years... I ended up spending all day Saturday and Sunday on the couch watching TV or sleeping. Today I finally feel up to sitting at the comp.

In seeing an add for Folklorama on the TV this weekend, I thought I would share something with you. A lot of my friends don't know about this little part of my past. First though, for those of you that are not familiar with Folklorama, it is a 2 week festival in Winnipeg, celebrating all cultures and ethnic backgrounds in pavilions throughout Winnipeg. See here for info.

Today's Pavilions are represented by an adult set and a teenage set of ambassadors, but back in 1978 the pavilions were still represented by a young gal of that culture, chosen through talent pageants, and dubed as Miss ________.

So, here is what
many don't know about me. I was crowned as Miss Holland 1078, by Sylvia Kuzyk weather lady of CTV News.
It was a wonder
ful experience of a summer full of fun with about 30 of us young women from all kinds of backgrounds...
One photo is of myself in the Folklorama parade, the other is of me in my Dutch costume from the town of Walcheren, in the province of Zeeland. I bet you didn't know there were more than most commonly known costume hey?! There are actually a lot more!!! 8-)

8 comments:

Joyce said...

I'm glad you're over the flu. Too bad you had to miss the anniversary. I haven't been to Folklorama for years.
Maybe this year...although we have tentatively planned to go to Minneapolis for their outdoor art fair held the same weekend.

Ritobear said...

I hope you're feeling all better by now! That's a stinky weekend :(

Thanks for sharing your photos - you look so beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Wow Myra, did not know about your past fame with Folklorama.So what other secrets do you have that you have not shared with us when we are sitting around the table quilting?
Glad to hear you are feeling better and sorry about your messed up weekend.

Hazel said...

Hope your feeling better .What a special picture ,I'm sure you treasure the memories of that time in your life .

Anonymous said...

Myra,that anonymous message was from me---Wonky Phyl---I for got again.

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Wow Miss Holland, how kewl is that! So sorry to hear about your tummy troubles; it's no fun at all! To answer your question (my email is not working from SD right now) is no I will not be at CCC on Wed night, but I'll be travelling home that day. QGB

Gina said...

I'm glad you are feeling better.

I love the photos of you in the Dutch costumes

love and hugs gina xxx

Anonymous said...

Man oh man - you are full of surprises aren't you?

LOL! Good post and I am glad you are feeling much better!

I am finally catching up with my computer. Can you tell?

WK